Ada Lovelace: others & forerunners
hibbsa@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-09-24 11:33:51 UTC
regarding Ada Lovelace contributions to computing, David Deutsch tweets https://twitter.com/DavidDeutschOxf/status/644977353651785730:

"ProfBrianCox @FryRsquared Fascinating. It convinced me that I was wrong: Babbage never really got universality. Lovelace totally did."

my comment:

Hi DD, I watched it after seeing your tweet, and found it fascinating also. I thought you might be interested in the following documentary, which sheds light on a forerunner to Ada Lovelace. In terms of universality, that the possibility was being glimpsed (but not realized) is evident.

http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o

Another recent documentary about Turing's Bletchley peer "Gordon Welchman" whose contribution to the Collossus and code breaking is regarded as at least equal to Turing himself. Possibly greater.

Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius

Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius A look at Gordon Welchman, a codebreaker crucial to the defeat of the Nazis.

View on www.bbc.co.uk http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius
Preview by Yahoo
Bruno Marchal marchal@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-10-08 15:33:29 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
regarding Ada Lovelace contributions to computing, David Deutsch
wrong: Babbage never really got universality. Lovelace totally did."
Hmm... I have a little french book from 1911 by Jacques Lafitte which
gave me indirect evidence that Babbage did got the "universality"
insight (for computations). he got it not from his machine(s), but
from the language he invented to describe the machine, and he realized
that such a language is as powerfull than his machine.
I have evidence that Ada invented programming and subroutine, but I am
not sure she get the universality I will take a look (when I have more
time).
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
Hi DD, I watched it after seeing your tweet, and found it
fascinating also. I thought you might be interested in the following
documentary, which sheds light on a forerunner to Ada Lovelace. In
terms of universality, that the possibility was being glimpsed (but
not realized) is evident.
http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o
Another recent documentary about Turing's Bletchley peer "Gordon
Welchman" whose contribution to the Collossus and code breaking is
regarded as at least equal to Turing himself. Possibly greater.
Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius
Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius
A look at Gordon Welchman, a codebreaker crucial to the defeat of
the Nazis.
View on www.bbc.co.uk
Preview by Yahoo
Of course, Leibniz was conceptually close to. My candidate for the
first real understanding of universality might be Emil Post, the
founders, with Kleene of "recursion theory".

Only one certainty: Gödel did not got it, and neither Church.
"Church's thesis" is a label created by Kleene when he understood that
the class of partial recursive function is closed for the
diagonalization procedure, what Gödel called a "miracle". Gödel
accepted Church's thesis only after his reading of Turing, who got it
too of course.

Bruno
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
David Deutsch david.deutsch@qubit.org [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-10-08 21:21:34 UTC
On 8 Oct 2015, at 16:33, Bruno Marchal ***@ulb.ac.be mailto:***@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality] <Fabric-of-***@yahoogroups.com mailto:Fabric-of-***@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On 24 Sep 2015, at 13:33, ***@yahoo.com mailto:***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality] wrote:
regarding Ada Lovelace contributions to computing, David Deutsch tweets https://twitter.com/DavidDeutschOxf/status/644977353651785730:
"ProfBrianCox @FryRsquared Fascinating. It convinced me that I was wrong: Babbage never really got universality. Lovelace totally did."

Hmm... I have a little french book from 1911 by Jacques Lafitte which gave me indirect evidence that Babbage did got the "universality" insight (for computations). he got it not from his machine(s), but from the language he invented to describe the machine, and he realized that such a language is as powerfull than his machine.
I have evidence that Ada invented programming and subroutine, but I am not sure she get the universality I will take a look (when I have more time).

The documentary says (and gives what I consider very strong arguments and evidence for, including Babbage's own letters to Lovelace) that Babbage totally 'got' computational universality in the arithmetical sense, and was the first person ever to do so, and to recognise its importance. But he didn't even conceive of using the registers of the Analytical Engine as symbols for anything but numbers -- until he read it in Lovelace's commentary. And even then, he thought it an interesting but incidental property, not the fundamental and much more significant one.

-- David Deutsch
Bruno Marchal marchal@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-10-09 11:20:08 UTC
Post by David Deutsch ***@qubit.org [Fabric-of-Reality]
Post by Bruno Marchal ***@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality]
[...]
In the arithmetical sense already? I guess you mean in the sense of
computing all arithmetical computable function (all computable
function from N to N), and not as meaning: being able to be emulated
by arithmetic (the later discovery made partially by Gödel and clearly
by davis and Kleene that a tiny part arithmetic (Robinson arithmetic)
is Turing universal.
Today we know that just diophantine polynomials are already Turing
universal, even with the polynomial degree limited to 4.
Post by David Deutsch ***@qubit.org [Fabric-of-Reality]
and was the first person ever to do so, and to recognise its
importance.
Interesting! That's new evidence for me. It confirms Lafitte analysis,
which was informal, as Lafitte did not yet know about Church-Turing
thesis.
Post by David Deutsch ***@qubit.org [Fabric-of-Reality]
But he didn't even conceive of using the registers of the Analytical
Engine as symbols for anything but numbers -- until he read it in
Lovelace's commentary. And even then, he thought it an interesting
but incidental property, not the fundamental and much more
significant one.
I will think about this, and look further. Thanks.

Bruno Marchal
-- David Deutsch
hibbsa@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-10-09 21:55:55 UTC
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
regarding Ada Lovelace contributions to computing,
David Deutsch tweets https://twitter.com/
me that I was wrong: Babbage never really got universality.
Lovelace totally did."
Hmm... I have a little french book from 1911 by
Jacques Lafitte which gave me indirect evidence
that Babbage did got the "universality" insight
(for >computations). he got it not from his machine(s),
but from the language he invented to describe the
machine, and he realized that such a language is
as powerfull than his machine.
I have evidence that Ada invented programming
and subroutine, but I am not sure she get the
universality I will take a look (when I have more time).
Yes well....having seen the documentary I spent a little time digging out some details (actually all I did was visit (the site/blog of) some trusted historians of science).
Apparently all Ada Lovelace did was publish a single paper, in which she performed a translation to English of a lecture given by or for Babbage. She added 'poetic annotations' on what one might do with the analytical engine. Which was entirely Babbage's' work. Another point was that not only was it absolute bullshit that Lovelace inspired or influenced at all the first computer, but that it's not straight forwarder that the analytical machine did.

http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/
Bruno Marchal marchal@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality]
2015-10-10 17:25:41 UTC
[...]
Hi Hibbsa. What you describe is the usual opinion. But the book by
Laffite expalins that when creating a lnague to describe the plan of
he machine, Babbage eventually realized that the language for the plan
was as much a discovery than its machine, and that he felt frustrated
not being able to communicate that discovery. It means that he
undertood that his language was a universal machine too, in (a
posteriroi) the mathematical sense which he did not intent to make
precise. Now, I have not seen that language, but I am open to the
idea that Babbage got the "tilt" of the "Turing universality". About
ADA, my reading is that she invented the notion of subroutine, and the
practice of programming, which demands also some intuiotion of that
universality. With Babbage feeling about its language, the discovery
is made more explicit.
Today we know that some diophantine polynomial relation are Turing
universal. Universality grows up at the very elementary part of the
arithmetical reality.

Bruno
2015-10-14 14:21:58 UTC
David Deutsch tweets https://twitter.com/ https://twitter.com/
[...]
Hi Bruno, hope you're well,
Sure, on the face of it there's some compelling elements there. It's also significant - from my perspective - that Deutsch says he found it convincing. Because I know how much thinking he does about universality.
Just to clarify, because it isn't clear whether that last post from me was expressing my own view or the view of some historians. Actually I was just paraphrasing the views I read. But...I do think historians have a lot to input into this sort of thing.
The big question is really whether there is actual causality in the flow of certain historical events. No one would likely doubt that Lovelace anticipated aspects of computing. But the question of whether she changed the line of history is more involved.
The difference is just that any number of people can be said in hindsight to have anticipated. That number is really directly proportional to the detail of history that one is aware. Whereas to be in the line of causality is much more constrained. So a much higher accolade.
Best.

Bruno

http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o http://youtu.be/bLb54FCMt9o

Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius

Bletchley Park: Code-breaking's Forgotten Genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius A look at Gordon Welchman, a codebreaker crucial to the defeat of the Nazis.

View on www.bbc.co.uk http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b069gxz7/bletchley-park-codebreakings-forgotten-genius

http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/ http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

2015-10-22 14:54:35 UTC
[...]
Hi Hibbsa,

What is interesting is that Gödel missed Church's thesis, and
disbelieve it until reading Turing's paper.
Church itself did not really grasp it as much as people like Emil
Post, or Stephen Kleene, or the philosopher Judson Webb, who wrote a
book showing how the classical machine already defeat Lucas-Pensore
type of argument.

Deustch seems to believe in a notion of physical universality, in a
stronger sense: the existence of a physical machine able to emulate
all physical systems in polynomial time. To me, this is an open
problem. One type of universal system would won in the statistics of
all computations, and would have that property. It is quite plausible,
but it is still an open problem to me, or in arithmetic (such problems
can be translated in arithmetic, or in arithmetical terms (involving
possible quite complex set of numbers, like arithmetical truth). The
fact that the observable of the Turing machine, as I define them, have
a natural quantization in arithmetic is just a promise toward such
quantum machine. Empirically, the evidences are quite strong, no doubt.

Best,

Bruno
2015-10-26 17:00:04 UTC
https://twitter.com/ https://twitter.com/ https://twitter.com/
[...]
Your earlier very interesting reply to David Deutsch touched on
this matter. It's a period and subject into which I am lately
more curious. For example, I know that Einstein spent a lot of
his time while visiting, walking about with Godel. Naively I
do wonder what they were talking about, and given it was over
that period Einstein was struggling with 'spooky action at a
distance', whether he was playing around with 'incompleteness'
and 'uncertainty' with a view to a possible relation. And if
he was, does that mean he was actually looking for an abstract
"meta" explanation. No one else was doing that...no one else went
there at that time, I don't think. Whatta guy :O)

I'd like to be able to say something directly relevant to your
point, but I'm out of my depth for now, I'm afraid.
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
Deustch seems to believe in a notion of physical universality,
in a stronger sense: the existence of a physical machine able
to emulate all physical systems in polynomial time. To me,
this is an open problem. One type of universal system would
won in the statistics of all computations, and would have
that property. It is quite plausible, but it is still an
open problem to me, or in arithmetic (such problems can
be translated in arithmetic, or in arithmetical terms
(involving possible quite complex set of numbers, like
arithmetical truth). The fact that the observable of the
Turing machine, as I define them, have a natural quantization
in arithmetic is just a promise toward such quantum machine.
Empirically, the evidences are quite strong, no doubt.
I actually don't think physical sciences would have come down
from the trees in the first place had there been a dogmatic
attachment to things as they first appear to be, or not one
that was conscious and deliberate.

The unconscious 'bias' type flavour is legitimate and should
more attention and/or a better standard of attention IMHO. But
attributing that sort of thing to individuals is not something
that I would personally want to do. It's also a little
self-defeating because doing so presumably entails giving oneself
a clean bill of health on those same terms, to be fit to examine
others without fear of personal bias.
Bruno
Bruno Marchal marchal@ulb.ac.be [Fabric-of-Reality]
2016-01-28 15:26:48 UTC
Hi Hibbsa,

I put some order on my desktop, and I found a mail from you that I
forgot to answer!
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
,
[...]
According to Palle Yourgrau, even Gödel was nervous about the idea
that "incompleteness" was related to uncertainty.
As I said, Gödel (and Einstein) missed the Mechanist hypothesis
implication, especially with respect to the "mind-body" problem. But
the first person indeterminacy do introduce a relation between them,
indeed, it reduces the whole physics into a probability calculus on
the computations (already emulated by the arithmetical reality). They
key to see this formally is that Gödel's provability predicate []p
does not entail the consistency of p (~[]~p, that is <>p), so we can
define a new modality by []p & <>t, and this one does act like a
probability, even a sort of quantum probability.
It looks like both Einstein and Gödel censored themselves on some
questions.
In the same book (Palle Yourgrau: "a world without time, the forgotten
legacy of Einstein and Gödel, Allen Lane book/Penguin 2005") I learned
that eventually Einstein recognize that we copuld study mathematics
with motivation on fundamental matter (before, Gödel was a
"conventionalist" in mathematics; he took mathematics as a language
only).
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
And if
he was, does that mean he was actually looking for an abstract
"meta" explanation. No one else was doing that...no one else went
there at that time, I don't think. Whatta guy :O)
I'd like to be able to say something directly relevant to your
point, but I'm out of my depth for now, I'm afraid.
No problem. It is a complex subject, and today, we still remain in the
Aristotelian theological paradigm. Most people still believe (or
worse: take for granted) a primary physical universe, which is the
second God of Aristotle, and I have shown it to be incompatible with
Mechanism (and Occam). The main argument is simple. I translated into
arithmetic, which is still simple for the logicians, but seems
difficult for non-logicians).
[...]
I say sometimes that Aristotelian physics is born with the apparition
of life, and was put in doubt by Plato, and then came back with
Aristotle and did not leave us until now. It is normal, evolution is
short term based, and to survive it is important to not doubt about
the preys and the predators. Platonism needs a bit of luxury and
leisure.
Post by ***@yahoo.com [Fabric-of-Reality]
The unconscious 'bias' type flavour is legitimate and should
more attention and/or a better standard of attention IMHO. But
attributing that sort of thing to individuals is not something
that I would personally want to do. It's also a little
self-defeating because doing so presumably entails giving oneself
a clean bill of health on those same terms, to be fit to examine
others without fear of personal bias.
Plato's main understanding is that the fundamental reality was counter-
intuitive. Aristotle, but also the intuitionist later, or those
physicists who believe in a primary Time, resist that idea and try to
save Aristotle's view, but in the long run, I think we will understand
that Plato is correct. In fact Gödel show that machines already get
that point, except that he did not see the formal theory as machine-
subject, but as human theories. he was a semantical platonist, but not
so much realist about the theories/machines, despite he was the first
to study them (meta)-mathematically.

Best,

Bruno