The reward for doing...
Brett Hall
2012-10-16 08:41:28 UTC
I like to quote David from FoR where he writes "Necessary truth is merely the subject matter of mathematics, not the reward we get for doing mathematics." - in the chapter on Mathematics.

I'm wondering...although this line is a swift way of dismantling ideas about the way some think maths has privileged access to 'certain' truth and that's a common misconception that needs to be challenged in places, can it work just as well with...well...any other subject with a few alterations?

Physical laws are merely the subject matter of physics, not the reward we get for doing physics.

And so forth...?

Brett.
Bruno Marchal
2012-10-17 12:19:03 UTC
I like to quote David from FoR where he writes "Necessary truth is
merely the subject matter of mathematics, not the reward we get for
doing mathematics." - in the chapter on Mathematics.
I'm wondering...although this line is a swift way of dismantling
ideas about the way some think maths has privileged access to
'certain' truth and that's a common misconception that needs to be
challenged in places, can it work just as well with...well...any
other subject with a few alterations?
Physical laws are merely the subject matter of physics, not the
reward we get for doing physics.
And so forth...?
A multiverse can be a mathematical structure, and this illustrated
that non necessary truth can be mathematical. This will happen in
mathematical structures rich enough to have internal (self- aware)
observers.
If computationalism is correct, then it is necessarily so, except that
it is less misleading to talk about dreams than worlds. Physical
universe(s) become(s) emergent appearances from the relative
arithmetical existing state in arithmetic.
That a notion of contingency exists in arithmetic is well illustrated
by Solovay theorem, which characterizes the modal logic (science of
necessity and possibility) of provability and consistency in arithmetic.

Bruno
Brett.
http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/