Good Explanations Question
hibbsa
2012-10-22 21:03:20 UTC
Hi - I was recently in an exchange with a friend who has read all the
Popper books, as to whether when Popper says that there are an infinite
number of explanations for any given observable (or whatever), he is
talking about "Good" explanations. As in Popper-Good, explanations.
This is what my friend thinks, and I do respect his POV a lot. But it
doesn't make sense to me at all. How could there be an infinite number
of Good Explanations for the same observable? If someone can help me out
it'll be appreciated.

Rami Rustom
2012-11-10 22:53:40 UTC
Post by hibbsa
Hi - I was recently in an exchange with a friend who has read all the
Popper books, as to whether when Popper says that there are an infinite
number of explanations for any given observable (or whatever), he is
talking about "Good" explanations. As in Popper-Good, explanations.
This is what my friend thinks, and I do respect his POV a lot. But it
doesn't make sense to me at all. How could there be an infinite number
of Good Explanations for the same observable? If someone can help me out
it'll be appreciated.
I don't think there are an infinite number of good explanations for a
given observable.

I think there are an infinite number of explanations for a given
observable. Why infinite? Because its about the logically-possible
explanations, rather than, for example, the explanations that
correspond with reality (aka good explanations).

-- Rami