Dissent can bring with it pain, even death.
Rami Rustom
2013-01-06 20:38:00 UTC
Why do people hate dissenters? What are they afraid of? Why do they
want to shut us up?

Theists do it to atheists.

Governments do it to their citizens.

Psychiatrists do it to their patients.

Parents do it to their children.

Sometimes people try to silence their dissenters by force -- sometimes
lethal force.

Here's an example of dealing with dissenters by lethal force:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/jason-kenney-minister-for-citizenship-and-immigration-give-refugee-status-imran-firasat-support-christians-hindus-of-pakistan?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created

In Pakistan, Imran Firasat will be executed for dissenting -- by
"dissenting" I mean apostasy and criticizing Islam.

This petition, if successful, will save his life.

-- Rami Rustom
http://ramirustom.blogspot.com
a b
2013-01-07 21:59:35 UTC
On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 8:38 PM, Rami Rustom <rombomb-***@public.gmane.org> wrote
Why do people hate dissenters? What are they afraid of? Why do they
Post by Rami Rustom
want to shut us up?
Traditions, Norms, Individuals, organizations, collectives, societies,
movements, ideologies, philosophies, moralities tend to permit/welcome
dissent of a given range of categories, but discourage, disapprove
of, react against dissent of another set of categories.

You ask why, Why do people hate [some] dissent. By and large it is
because they regard it as traitorous, immoral, evil, dehumanizing,
disgusting, vile, etc, etc. In most cases, dissenters who cross these
lines are given the 'benefit of the doubt'...they are assumed to be
acting out of ignorance, and provided with explanations and historical
reassurances the issues were resolved long ago, and this sort of
dissent is known to be harmful and immoral.

And so on and so on.

I am interested to know which components of what I describe above, do
not have parallels among Popperian's?
Post by Rami Rustom
Theists do it to atheists.
Governments do it to their citize
Psychiatrists do it to their patients.
Parents do it to their children.
Sometimes people try to silence their dissenters by force -- sometimes
lethal force.
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/jason-kenney-minister-for-citizenship-and-immigration-give-refugee-status-imran-firasat-support-christians-hindus-of-pakistan?utm_source=guides&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_created
In Pakistan, Imran Firasat will be executed for dissenting -- by
"dissenting" I mean apostasy and criticizing Islam.
This petition, if successful, will save his life.
-- Rami Rustom
http://ramirustom.blogspot.com

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Fabric-of-Reality-digest-***@public.gmane.org
Fabric-of-Reality-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Rami Rustom
2013-01-10 03:00:54 UTC
Post by Rami Rustom
[...]
I don't understand the question. What do you mean by 'parallels'? What
is it that you want to know? What problem are you trying to solve?

-- Rami